I always tell my students, “if you haven’t made a mistake today you aren’t learning”. I love making mistakes and admitting to them! Mistakes are the absolute best. And failing, well, failing is … FABULOUS!
Now, it took me all of my 20’s to come this headspace – but now I am enlightened!
- Relationships – I’ve made some brutal mistakes with the people in my life. I mean hurtful, name calling, put up your dukes mistakes. This is one of the hardest mistakes to admit – but also the one that has taught me the most. Hands down, people matter! Because of how I have hurt and been hurt in relationships, I try and find gratitude for the time and purpose of every person that I come across. From the person who holds open the door that I may never see again to my partner that I come home to everyday.
- Service – This world is way bigger than you or me. And we cannot do this humanity thing alone. Somehow, in some way we are all connected. I think I always knew this but didn’t know how to make a difference. It wasn’t until an issue became personal to me did I really understand the role of advocacy and service. Now, I see the importance of dedicating yourself as a servant leader.
- Self-Doubt – If you have ever been told you are not (fill in the blank) enough, you know what I am talking about. I have spent years and lots of time in therapy trying to silence all those voices in my head about what I am not (blank) enough. And my problem was that I let other people tell me my own story. I never really believed what Kate thought, and how Kate told the story of who she wanted to be. This is something I work on daily and have finally gotten hold of. I spent way to much time in the story I was making up in my head and not enough time recognizing my wonderful radiant self!
- Asking for Help – I have learned this lesson the hard way a million times over. Several years ago our apartment caught fire and we lost everything. I was so overwhelmed and powerless over the situation, there was no choice but to ask for help. And no matter the situation, I have learned the response is always unwavering – but you have to ask.
- Making Decisions for Me – I was always putting things off, not taking the ceramics class or waiting to calling the friend I hadn’t spoken to in a while. There were thousands of daily decisions that I didn’t even come close to factoring in my wellbeing. Then one day I found this print at a boutique, framed it, and I keep it by my bed! Because, I sure am a grown ass lady and I will do what I want! I love this reminder to put myself first when it matters most!
Lets be real – I have made way more than 5 mistakes in my lifetime. And I will continue to make them, hopefully daily. Because, I LOVE to fail – I always learn the most from the fall flat on your face, the I could have handled that differently, and the ugh… I shouldn’t have done that. And although at times it can be an internal struggle, with a pit in the bottom of your stomach and you know you have done something utterly wrong.
And In that moment you have a choice. A choice to stay in the negative narrative or choose to find creativity, opportunity, and gratitude that only come from our deepest mistakes.
What has been your best mistake ?