I find when my house is organized and clean, my mind is more settled and focused. With the seasons changing it is the perfect time to do some cleaning and purging for a more mindful lifestyle. One of the eight limbs of yoga talks about non attachment or letting go of both the physical and mental things that may clutter our space. Here are some tips that can help declutter your life this fall!
- Clean Out Your Pantry – If you are like me things get lost in the back of my pantry. I wind up buying doubles of ingredients that have fallen behind the pancake mix and the graham crackers. Take out all of your pantry items, dust the shelves, check the expiration dates, and reorganize.
- Check Batteries and Change Filters – If you can’t remember when you last changed your air filter its time to do so. Dust builds up so quickly! Also check the batteries in your smoke detecters, its good to get in the habit!
- Clean Out Your Closet – After each season I try and donate clothes that don’t fit or I didn’t wear. It was really hard at first because I LOVE fashion. But letting go of some of those clothes was liberating. The trick for me is not filling up the closet again!
- Rotate Your Mattress – To equalize the wear on your mattress rotate it from end to end. This is also a great time to get out your flannel sheets and warmer bedding.
- Purge Your Bookshelf – Its amazing how many books and magazines you can acquire. I like to share books with friends and co-workers and swap them so your bookshelf is always fresh with new reading.
Now that your house is decluttered make it smell like fall! I love to simmer this mixture to make my house smell absolutely yummy! In a small sauce pan combine: 3 cups of water, 1 sliced orange, and 1 cinnamon stick. Put it on low heat and let it simmer while you are in the house until you want to turn it off! Enjoy!
What are your fall clean sweep tips?